Wednesday 18 March 2009

Sight and sound



Just finished watching Paranoid Park, pretty impressed. It's beautifully shot and is really well sequenced - a loose narrative, lots of flashbacks (not in a cheesy way) and intermittent super-8 skateboard footage. I saw Milk a few weeks back and thought it was one of the best films I've seen in ages, so I really need to see more of Gus Van Sant's stuff. The only things I've seen by him are his short in Paris Je T'aime, which like the rest of the film I felt was over contrived and a bit too cliched/pretentious, and the first twenty minutes or so of Last Days, which I had to turn off as I couldn't realy stand it. Nontheless Paranoid Park and Milk I enjoyed.

Patrick Wolf is playing at shunt this Saturday. Why do all the best things happen when I'm not in London? I think I'm destined not to see him again. Can't wait for his album though, kind of disappointed the promise of a double album has fallen through, but then I guess that should have been expected since he's getting his fans to fund it. Which I totally respect, a major label wouldn't appreciate his music.. Just look at Klaxons being told to re-record theirs. Something potentially interesting/possibly special gone to waste. You'd think after winning the mercury they'd have the licence to continue their ways and do something creative. Clearly not. Radio 1 has taken hold of them and they're not giving up without a fight.

No comments: