Wednesday 13 January 2010

Still images



I'm sitting in foyles cafe, I've just had a tutorial to discuss my ideas and am contemplating my brief for the term ahead: independent exploration. Yes, that's right, an independently led (i.e. basically no timetable commitments) exploration (could it be more vague?) into my interests and impulses as a studying visual artist. As well as trying to work out what exactly to do with all this free time I have been thinking and reading a lot about the relationship between the still and moving image, the connotations of narrative and time associated with each, the idea of reliving the past in film and distilling it with photography, and somehow blurring the boundaries of both in my work. Perhaps inspired in some way by Chris Marker's La jetée and with the intention of creating some form of narrative or sense of time having passed, a suggestion of experiencing the moment, whilst at the same time exploring the connotations of a still image in various forms - a photograph, a freeze frame. Right now it's all just ideas and borrowed theories but hopefully soon I'm looking forward to the creative process once again and trying to transform these ideas into something tangible.

No comments: